BRIAN'S ALL-TIME GREAT SA GUITAR SOLOS
(a totally subjective and completely opinionated list by Brian Currin, February 1999)
- Piet Botha - Goeienag Generaal, what a cold-shiver inducing solo - stunning. "For all the guys that were in the army" says Piet Botha.
- Jorge Carlos - Cape Axe, trance music with real guitars - incrediblesound, reminds me of Eddie van Halen and Joe Satriani. One section evensounds like 'The Mule' riff by Ritchie Blackmore.
- André Fourie - Purple Haze by the Sixty Something Band (also for hisrendition of Jimi Hendrix's 'Star-Spangled Banner' with 'Nkosi Sikele'thrown in!). See André's own list here.
- Johnny Mair - This Boy by Sweatband (also 'Johnny B Goode' live at thePig and Whistle in 1986 - spine-chilling!)
- Willem Moller - Sex by the Pressure Cookies(Willem's guitar solo on the Live Fact version of 'Climb Up On My Music' by Rodriguez is also one of my Magic Moments in Music)
- Scott Miller - She's Not There by The Forbidden Planet cast, only inlive performance during the shows at the Baxter in Cape Town in 1997.Scott included every known rock riff into his solo which after 10 minutes finished far too early for my liking. Incredible!
There are a lot more, but these are what came to mind first...
South Africa's Rock Lists
South Africa's Rock Files